How to Reset Alexa on Echo Devices – You might encounter a glitch where Alexa doesn’t respond, or commands aren’t executed properly. Your Echo device might also lose connection with other linked devices or your Wi-Fi network.
If you experience such issues, you may want to reset your Alexa and Echo back to original factory settings in hopes that it may solve the problem.
Restart vs. Reset
Before considering a factory reset, try a restart. This may restore functionality without erasing your settings. To restart any Echo device, unplug the power cord, wait several minutes, then plug it back in. The Echo will turn on and become active within a few minutes.
If a music service isn’t responding properly to Alexa, it could be something on their end. Try repeating your command to see if it gets back to normal.
If that doesn’t work and you need to reset Alexa, the settings are returned to factory defaults and you will have to go through the initial setup procedure (registration, reconnect to Wi-Fi, etc.). The reset procedure may vary depending on the Echo model.
How to Reset Using the Alexa App
Reset steps are the same for iOS and Android. Android is illustrated below.
Open the Alexa app, then tap the Devices icon in the bottom right corner.
On the Devices page, tap Echo & Alexa, then choose the device to reset.
In Device Settings, scroll down and tap Factory Reset. Proceed or cancel as desired.
How to Reset Alexa Directly on the Device
If you don’t have the app handy, you can also reset your Alexa devices directly from the device. In most cases, it’s a simple button press, or a combination of buttons pressed at the same time, though on older generation devices, you may need to use a paperclip to press a reset button.
How to Reset an Amazon Echo Show and Echo Spot
You can reset an Amazon Echo Show or Spot with their touchscreen controls.
Say, “Alexa, go to Settings,” or, on the Echo Show home screen, swipe down to reveal the settings bar, then tap Settings.
Although you can use a voice command to get to the Settings screen, the remaining steps require the touchscreen.
In Settings, swipe down if needed, then tap Device Options.
In Device Options, swipe down and tap Reset to Factory Defaults.
On the Reset to Factory Defaults screen, you may have two options. Choose the option that will work best for you. Either reset to factory defaults, or reset to factory defaults and keep you smart home connections.
If you are giving or selling your Echo Show to someone else to be used in a different location, tap Reset to Factory Defaults.
How to Reset a Standard Echo
Resetting the standard Echo device may seem trickier than resetting an Echo show, but it’s really not hard.
- First Generation Echo: Use a paper clip to press and hold the Reset button. Wait for the light ring to go from orange to blue then back to orange. It’s now ready for setup.
- Second Generation Echo: Press and hold the Microphone off and Volume down buttons at the same time. Wait until the light ring turns orange, then blue, then orange. It is now in setup mode.
- Third Generation Echo: Press and Hold the Action button for 25 seconds. The light ring will display orange, then turn off. It then displays blue, then orange. It is now returned to setup mode.
How to Reset an Echo Plus
The Amazon Echo Plus is similar to the standard Echo, but with a few additional features. The reset process, however, remains very similar:
- First Generation Echo Plus: Use a paper clip to press and release the Reset button on the bottom of the unit. Wait for the light ring to go off, then turn back to orange.
- Second Generation Echo Plus: Press and hold the Action button (20 seconds). The light ring will light up orange, go off, then turn back on going from blue to orange. It is now ready for setup.
How to Reset an Echo Dot
The Echo Dot is a smaller version of the Amazon Echo device. It’s also pretty simple to reset this device.
- First Generation Echo Dot: Use a paper clip to press and hold the reset button located on the bottom of the Echo Dot. Wait for the light ring to turn off. It will then light up orange, then blue, then orange again. It is now set up ready.
- Second Generation Echo Dot: Press and hold the Microphone off and Volume down buttons at the same time. After about 20 seconds, the light ring will turn orange and the Dot enters setup mode.
- Third Generation Echo Dot: Press and hold the Action button. Wait for 25 seconds, during with the light ring will orange, then blue, then orange again—it has returned to setup mode.
How to Reset an Echo Studio
The Echo Studio is another Echo device that’s similar to its siblings, and works in much the same way. As with the others, resetting the device is an easy task.
Press and hold the volume down and microphone off buttons on the top of the Echo Studio for 20 seconds. The light ring will turn off and then back on. When it comes back on, the Echo Studio is reset.
How to Reset an Echo Input
To reset an echo input, press and hold the action button for 25 seconds.
How to Reset an Echo Sub
An Echo Sub linked to an Echo Plus or Echo Studio complements music playback by emphasizing lower frequencies.
If an Echo Sub becomes unresponsive, reset it by pressing and holding the Echo Sub’s Action button located just above the power connection for 25 seconds.
The Deregister Option
If you’re selling or giving your Echo device to a new user in another location, De-registration from your Amazon account does the same thing as a reset. You can do this via the Alexa app or through your Amazon Account settings on the Amazon website.
Deregister Using Alexa App
If the deregister option is available for your Echo on the Alexa app, follow the same steps for a reset, but choose Deregister instead.
Deregister From Amazon.com
Here’s how to Deregister an Echo from your Amazon account on Amazon.com:
Log into your Amazon account and select Your Devices and Content (you can use one of two prompts).
In Digital Services and Device Support, select Manage Devices.
On the Manage Devices page, there will be a list of the devices registered to your account.
Choose a device and select Deregister. Follow any additional prompts.
To deregister multiple Echos, select them one-at-a-time and follow the Deregister procedure.